Ayurvedic weight loss treatment
Obesity statistics is increasing all over the world, and it is becoming one the world’s biggest health problems. Recent reports suggest that it may soon overtake cigarette smoking as a serious health risk. These statistics are alarming because being overweight, and especially being obese, increases one’s risk of many health problems, including type 2 diabetes, heart disease, certain cancers,(endometrial, breast and colon) stroke, back and joint pain, osteoarthritis, high blood pressure, gallstones, fatty liver, infertility, breathlessness, depression, insomnia, etc.
Body mass index (BMI) is a simple index of weight-for-height that is commonly used to classify overweight and obesity in adults. It is defined as a person’s weight in kilogrammes divided by the square of his height in meters (kg/m2).
- BMI greater than or equal to 25 is overweight
- BMI greater than or equal to 30 is obesity
It is a serious medical disease that affects over a quarter of adults in the United States, and about 14% of children and adolescents. A report from the National Audit Office concluded that obesity could shave an average of nine years from our lifespan. Obesity needs to be treated early in life to prevent the long-term complications later in life. Ayurvedic weight loss program is one of the best ways to lose weight.
Ayurvedic lifestyle, which includes Ayurvedic weight loss diet and massage, (Udvartana) gives the long lasting results without any side effects.
The most obvious causes of obesity are eating more than the body needs and physical inactivity, such as sedentary lifestyle and lack of exercise. Other factors that contribute to obesity are genetic factors and genetic disorders, an underlying illness, eating disorders, consumption of certain medications.
Obesity and Ayurveda:
According to Ayurveda, every human being is a unique phenomenon of cosmic energy, which manifests itself through the three basic elements or the “Tridosha” – Vata – Air, Pitta- Fire and Kapha – Water. The individual’s constitution has its own unique balance of these three energies.
Obesity is caused by an imbalance of ‘Kapha – Water Energy’. People with a Kapha constitution are more likely to gain weight through excess fat than a Pitta (Fire) or Vata (Air) person. People with an imbalance in their Kapha energy have to take that little extra care to avoid putting on those unwanted pounds.
In the Ayurvedic texts, Charaka has described eight ‘nindya prakruties’ (undesirable constitution) of the body; obesity is one of them and is described as ‘Medoroga’. In an Obese person, individual Medas (Fat) is excessively nourished and remaining other Dhatus (tissues) get malnourished. Kapha gets accumulated. When Kapha increases in an abnormal fashion, Fat metabolism gets hampered, and a person becomes Obese.
Panchakarma treatments for weight loss or Ayurvedic weight loss treatment or Ayurvedic treatment for Obesity are achieved through a combination of:
Fat accumulates as Ama in the body. These purification and detox procedures remove this excess toxin (ama) from the body. These are gentle treatments and easily manage the weight loss. The beauty of Ayurvedic treatment for weight loss is that it produces weight loss without adversely affecting the physiology and does not cause any side effects.
The special herbal massage called Udvartana prevents sagging of the skin as it gradually regains its elasticity and adjusts to the weight loss. Rapid weight loss programs with severe diet restrictions without adequate exercise programs and special massages have been known to be unsustainable. Most people regain the lost weight very soon and sometimes even gain more weight.
In Ayurvedic weight loss treatment, these pitfalls are avoided. Weight loss takes place gradually over a period of time, and you adapt to this program much better than any other programs. Throughout the process, you feel good about it. You find it easy and comfortable to adapt to the Ayurvedic lifestyle, which is one of mind-body balance.
The Ayurvedic weight loss detox program, besides the immediate weight-loss, cleanses out toxins from your body and allows it to function more efficiently promoting an overall feeling of health and wellness.
Ayurvedic weight loss diet:
- Eat fresh cooked food
- Use mild spices and avoid oily food
- Add fresh fruits and vegetables to the diet
- Do not eat or snack between meals
- Eat three simple meals a day
- The amount of food you eat should not exceed the quantity, which you could hold in your two hands cupped together
- Avoid processed food as much as possible
- Eat slowly and quietly in a calm atmosphere
- Do not cook the same food twice
- Try and avoid refrigerating and reheating the food. This creates more toxic (ama) in the body
- Make sure of daily, complete and regular bowel movement
- Drink a big glass of hot water (around 40 degrees Centigrade) once during mid morning and again at mid-afternoon
- Avoid sleeping during the day. If you need to sleep, take a short nap before lunch
- Drink green tea or herbal tea 2-3 times a day
Diet for weight loss:
- Eat at regular intervals, Do not skip any meal unless there are medical reasons. Eating at regular intervals balances your Doshas.
- Drink herbal tea (Ozone teas) and warm water.
- Eat spices in balance (Indus valley dosha balancing Sambar and Rasam powders) / herbs as Turmeric, Cinnamon, Ginger, Garlic, Pepper, Cumin – These spices improve and maintain metabolism and
- Avoid – Heavy spices, oily, rich calorie preparations, refined cereals, white flour, cheese, curds, whole milk, red meat, pork, beef, Potato, eggplant, mushroom, tomato.
These spices prevent accumulation and remove Ama (toxin) from cells, thus lowering the excess fat in the body.
- Use coconut oil, olive oil, ghee – These oils are essential for a balanced metabolism in the body and have special properties and protect your body and mind. Click here to read more about ayurvedic oil
Ideal Ayurvedic diet should
- Maintain proper metabolism
- Remove toxins (Ama) and prevent the accumulation of toxins in the body and mind
- should maintain balanced tri-dosha.
|Meal||Item (Choose anyone)||Concept|
|On empty stomach in the morning||
Along with Papaya
|Carbohydrate source to start the day|
|Balanced meal for the Day|
||Simple carbohydrate and minerals for maintenance of energy|
||Carbohydrate source for the night|
- Shredded cabbage – 50 gm
- Cucumber cubes – 50 gm
- Pineapple cubes – 50 gm
- Coarsely grated carrot – 50 gm
- Shredded lettuce – 50 gm
- Sweet lime – 100 gm
- Chopped coriander leaves
- Finely chopped mint leaves
- Almonds – (deskinned-soak the almonds in water overnight and remove the skin) – 5
- Olive oil – 10 ml
- Lemon juice – 5 ml
- Pepper – 3 corns
- Salt to taste
Combine all the ingredients together in a bowl and toss well.
- Moong Dal (split yellow gramme) – 3 tbsp
- Chopped onions – 1 small
- Carrot cubes – 50 gms
- Chopped garlic – 4 pods
- Pepper – 2 corn
- Cooked barley / Cooked Rice – 50 gm
- Olive oil – 5 ml
- Lemon juice – 5 ml
- Salt to taste
- Wash and soak moong Dal for 2 hours.
- Drain, add 3 cups of water, onions and carrots and pressure cook for 1 to 2 whistles or cook in a pan under medium fire covered with a lid.
- Saute the onions, garlic for 1 minute or stop before it starts getting brown.
- Add the cooked moong dal and bring to boil. Simmer for 3 to 4 minutes and serve liquidy.
For Ayurvedic weight loss recipes
Udvartana for weight loss:
It is an Ayurvedic cellulite busting therapy. Udvartana can be used for weight loss, rejuvenation, to improve the complexion and exfoliation of the skin. An Ayurvedic physician will determine what kind of herbal power or herbal paste is suitable to your condition. Udvartana massage tones the skin, removes cellulite, loosens fat molecules and eliminates them from the subcutaneous level and removes Kapha toxins from the body.
Ayurvedic herbal supplements are of great benefit in weight control and are free of side effects. Click here to order
Yoga not only helps one lose weight but also enhances the healing potential of Ayurveda. There are 72000 Nadis (channels) in the body with central control at the chakras. The Yoga practice opens up these channels and the life force moves freely in the Nadis balancing body and mind.
This way you will only eat what is needed for the body and the urge to eat more and frequently will disappear on its own. This is the reason why Ayurvedic weight loss program with Yoga practice is the most successful program. Once you are hooked on it, you will stay with it, and the body slowly returns to its normal weight and keeps it.
Pranayama is the Ayurvedic breathing technique, which brings increased energy, perception and development of various brain faculties. This helps regulate the appetite centre in the brain thereby correcting the eating habits and assists in the gradual weight loss.
Walking for weight loss:
Brisk walking for 30-60 minutes will significantly reduce the risk of diabetes, coronary artery disease, arthritis, depression and many other health problems related to obesity. Combined with Ayurvedic weight loss treatment with weight loss diet halts and reverses the obesity-related health problems. Simple, inexpensive and non-invasive Ayurvedic remedies could prevent you from the more invasive heart and other surgeries.
Wear comfortable shoes and clothes, early mornings or evenings are better for a walk. Use an umbrella to protect from the direct sunlight. Doing a mindful walk in nature will give more benefits.
The quick fix!
The quick fix – There is no such thing! Fad diets, slimming pills, liposuction, surgery, etc. none offer a permanent solution. Ayurveda teaches us to make simple and permanent lifestyle changes by helping us understand what our body needs, it teaches us to make a commitment to our body and follow through with goals. This helps us develop respect for our bodies enabling us to enjoy every moment of LIFE. In fact, if maintained, even weight loss of as little as 10 percent of body weight can improve one’s health.
Ayurvedic cooking for weight loss:
At Indus Valley, Mysore, we offer weight loss package, which includes cooking classes. You will learn how to prepare simple, tasty Ayurvedic food while you lose weight. You may also order the necessary spices from us after you return home.
This way having gotten detoxified and lost some weight, you will continue to lose weight till you reach the optimum weight. Our doctors will be available for giving you any further advice you need after your return home.
Weight loss through integrative therapeutics:
There are certain situations wherein a diet or exercise alone may not be sufficient to lose weight and bring your skin tone back. Few examples are morbid obesity, post pregnancy abdominal dehiscence, endocrine disorders.
One may need liposuction, tummy tucking and Bariatric surgery etc. Whatever your situation and needs are we are able to guide you and treat you. You will receive a complete care at Indus valley and our affiliated Centre in Mysore.