Ayurvedic Treatment for Eczema
The word Eczema was coined from the Greek word “ekzein”, meaning to “boil out”. Eczema is dermatitis – an inflammation of the upper layers of the skin known as the epidermis. This condition causes itchy, inflamed skin which leads to red rashes when scratched. It typically affects the insides of the elbows, back of knees, and the face.Other forms of eczemas include; atopic dermatitis, nummular eczema, contact dermatitis, allergic contact dermatitis, dyshidrotic eczema, and seborrheic dermatitis.
- Environmental factors
- Malfunction of immune system
- Dry skin
- Reddish / brownish / grey colored patches
- Itching, which may be severe, especially at night
- Small, raised bumps, which may leak fluid and crust over when scratched
- Thickened, cracked or scaly skin
- Raw, sensitive skin from scratching
Ayurvedic Treatment for Eczema:Eczema can be correlated to Vicharchika, caused by the vitiation of the vata and pitta doshas. It’s a skin ailment characterised by spontaneous eruptions on the skin, which is caused due to an impure Rakta Dhatu.Eczema Appearance by Dosha:
- Pitta predominant eczema is oozing and burning
- Kapha eczema is oozing, but thicker and very severe itchy
- Vata eczema is dry and painful with itching
Line of treatment:
- Balancing the aggravated dosha, improving metabolism, strengthening the immune system, detoxification. Detoxification is recommended at regular intervals as the toxins get released in small portions each time.
- The treatment modalities include panchakarma, external therapies, internal medications, Activities, Advice of food and lifestyle changes.
- Panchakarma – Virechana, Vamana, Rakta mokshana
- Externally – Abhyanga,l Takra Dhara, Kashaya Seka
- Internally – Deepana (appetiser)
- Pachana ( Digestives)
- Mrudu rechaka (mild purgatives)
- Rakta Shodhaka (blood purifiers)
- Specific Rasayana for the skin (which helps in strengthening the Rakta Dhatu, skin)
- Specific Asanas, Panayamas, meditation.
- Food and Lifestyle changes: specific to the individual’s constitution, nature of work and geographical conditions.