Ayurveda treatment for Uterine Fibroids
Uterine fibroids are noncancerous (benign) tumours that develop in the womb (uterus), a female reproductive organ. The uterine fibroids are also known as leiomyomas or myomas. They are normally benign growths of the muscle inside the uterus of women. These fibroids vary in size, position and number and thus, cause uterine enlargement.
Types of Fibroid:Fibroids are described by their location in the uterus:
- Subserosal fibroids- Fibroid that develops on the outside of the uterus
- Submucosal fibroids- Fibroids that develops under the surface of the uterine lining
- Myometrial fibroid-Fibroid that grows in the muscle wall of the uterus
- Pedunculated fibroid- Fibroids that occur on a long stalk on the outside of the uterus or inside the cavity of the uterus.
- Experiencing excessive abdominal pressure
- Frequent urination
- Lower back pain
- Enlargement of the uterus
- Bleeding within periods
- Pelvic cramping or pain with periods
- Pain during intercourse
Ayurveda treatment for Uterine Fibroids:Fibroids can be correlated to ‘mamsa arbuda’, meaning abnormal growth in muscles and the connective tissues of the uterus. This abnormal growth generates excessive bleeding and can be treated along the lines of ‘Yoni vyapad’ or disorder in the female reproductive system.The uterine fibroids normally fall in the category of kaphaja disorder, but it can also be caused by vata and pitta abnormalities. Thus, any treatment suggested, must be able to balance the tri-doshas and be sufficiently sustained over time to eradicate slow-moving kapha.
Causes:The cause of uterine fibroids is unknown. However, their growth has been linked to the hormone oestrogen. Other factors include:
- Sex during menses
- Low thyroid function
- Accumulation of ama
- Suppression of urge for urination, or flatulence
- Hidden sense of grief and sadness associated with issues of maternity and conception
- Kapha kara Ahara and Vihara (Food and lifestyle that causes an increase in kapha)
Line of treatment:Ayurveda treatment for Uterine Fibroids:
- Balancing the tri-doshas.
- Strengthening the Shukra Dahtu
- Treatments – The treatment modalities includes panchakarma, external therapies, internal medications, Activities, Advice of food and lifestyle changes.
- Panchakarma – Vamana, Virechana, Basti
- Externally – Abhyanga, Shiro Dhara, Chakra Basti, Vaginal douche
- Internally – Amapachana
- Tridosha balancers – Uterine tonics as Kumari (Aloe Vera), Shuda Guggulu (Commifora Mukul), Neem (Azadirachta indica), Ashoka (Saraka asoca), Manjistha (Rubis cordifolia)
- Specific Asanas, Pranayamas, meditation
- Food and Lifestyle changes: specific to the individual’s constitution, nature of work and geographical conditions.